Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jessica's Scrumdiliumptious Summer Pasta -- Recipe #5

Just so you know. I didn't name this recipe. I asked James what I should name it and he kept saying it was "scrumdiliumptious" so I should include that in the name. I told him I would name it this for now and rename it later. P.S. this was inspired from my earlier post. I made my own version since I didn't have all of the ingredients. Feel free to do that too! If you see something on here that looks good, but you don't have everything you need, than substitute it for something you do have. If you are afraid of being that bold, than just follow the recipe. ;-)

                         Jessica's Scrumdiliumptious Summer Pasta                   
Items  you will need:
Large pot
Large skillet
3 tablespoons olive oil 
pinch of salt (or sea salt)
1/2 pound of whole wheat rotini pasta
Half medium onion cut in thin slices
2 garlic cloves chopped (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
Half red bell pepper cut in slices
Half green bell pepper cut in slices
2-3 cups of fresh spinach leaves (really I just do 2-3 handfuls)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup vinegerette sun dried tomato

Directions:

1. Prepare pasta according to the directions on the box, but also add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil to the water. Set aside. I like to start the skillet portion of this recipe while the pasta is cooking in the boiling water so both are done at the same time.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet. Sautee onions for a few minutes and then add garlic for another minute. Add bell peppers and cook for additional 2 minutes. Add spinach and stir it around until it no longer looks like it's original leaf like form.
3. Add soy sauce (or shoyu), balsamic vinegar, and sun dried tomato vinegarette. Stir to evenly coat and lastly, add garlic powder and parsley. Sautee all of the ingredients for a few minutes.
4. Add pasta to vegetable mixture, evenly coating the pasta. Cook for another minute. And then serve.

Note: We also had this with sauteed green beans and toasted whole wheat bread with garlic salt. 
I should also mention that most of these portions are good for 2-4 people. Depending on what other food you serve with it. If you only serve this as your meal. It's only enough for 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment