Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rustic Pasta - Recipe #4

Before I dive into this next recipe I would like to answer Lindsey's question about how to get ones calcium intake if you decide to go without milk or even dairy all together. Here is a list of food that provide calcium compared with milk.

Calcium Milligrams (per 100-gram serving)
  • Butter --- 20
  • Whole Milk --- 118
  • Chickpeas --- 150
  • Collard Greens --- 203
  • Parsley --- 203
  • Soybeans --- 226
  • Almonds --- 234
  • Sesame Seeds --- 1160
  • Hijiki Sea Vegetable --- 1400
As you can see from this list, there are other choices that are far better for you as far as calcium intake is concerned. James and I personally love to eat almonds and soybeans aka edamame. We are always stocked with a few frozen bags of this delicious soybean. Some even come in microwavable pouches. I personally like to boil water with a pinch of salt and a little olive oil (for flavor), throw the beans in and let them boil in the water for 10 minutes. Just be sure not to eat the shells! It also makes a great snack. Especially, if you're having a salty craving and want unhealthy chips. This always does it for me. *Edit* James and I definitely eat soybeans in moderation. Usually only a serving every 3 or 4 days. Check the comments for details on the Great Soy Debate. :-) *

Moving on to the recipe portion of this post. The following recipe is NOT my own but from the book, The Kind Diet. Try it out and let me know how it turns out for you. I haven't tried this exact recipe, but have done a variation of it. This one looks like it would taste better. I'll be trying it out here in the next couple of days.

                                                Rustic Pasta                                          

Items you will need:

1/4 pound pasta, long or short shape, as you prefer
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or thinly sliced (if you have mince garlic -1-2 teaspoons should do
2 celery stalks, diced or thinly sliced on a diagonal
1/4 cup shoyu (also known as soy sauce -the healthy version)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or regular table salt if you don't have this)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
5-6 tablespoons marinara sauce

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water (I personally love to add a tablespoon of olive oil to every pot of water I boil for pasta) add the pasta; cook just until al dente. Drain the pasta well.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onions and cook for 7 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and saute for 3 minutes longer, until the onions are transparent and turning golden.
3. Add the celery to the skillet and saute for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in the shoyu, salt, and garlic powder, then add the cabbage; saute for 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes longer.
4. Add the pasta to the skillet with the sauce and toss together. Cook over medium-high heat for a minute or two and serve.

You can also serve this with meat-balls (tofu or real) if you choose. A yummy fresh salad (avoid Iceberg lettuce - it doesn't really have very many nutrients compared to other greens out there - I personally love spinach leaves) and garlic bread. Don't have any garlic bread on hand? Try Pan frying some pieces of bread in sesame or other oil for a couple of minutes on each side. Cut a garlic clove in half and rub onto the fried bread slices.


This is making me hungry! I hope you enjoy it!

6 comments:

  1. Just so you know, there is debate on the dangers of soy. I am not qualified at all to have a good opinion, and I haven't really done the research. I do know that the estrogen levels in soy are EXTREMELY high and some think that is why girls are starting their periods earlier and earlier. (Most foods today contain at least some soy in them.) Personally, I can't give up dairy because I absolutely love milk, cheese, and other products like Fiber One Yogurt. I just try to choose healthier options, such as skim milk or reduced fat cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard that, but there is also a debate on how unhealthy dairy is and why so many people have an intolerance to it. I mentioned in my previous post, that soymilk should not be consumed on a regular basis. I think the debate has to do with using soy beans in products and changing some of it's natural nutrients. Going fat free is another great way to try and eliminate fat from your diet so I commend you for going fat free with dairy. i can't give up dairy 100% either. Even though I am allergic to it. I really should, but I love me some ice cream and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I went back and read a book I had and there was something in there about processed soy having a plant based estrogen called phytoestrogens that in large quanties may affect fertility in both men and women and interfere with reproductive development in boys as well as thyroid problems. But the other side of the debate is that many asian cultures use soy beans in moderation for millenia without exhibiting these problems. If used in moderation, soy has been proven to protect against breast cancer and it helps for post menopoausal women, lowers cholesterol, helps prevent osetoporosis and alleviates problems associated with diabetes.

    So moderation really is the key in this case. Crazy how something can be so helpful, but too much of a good thing can really be bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also to add to the list of calcium enriched foods is broccoli, apricot, oranges, various nuts, whole wheat, kidney and baked beans. My point is, you don't have to have milk (or just milk)to get the calcium you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the research and clarification. Even though I'm not jumping on the "largely limiting milk bandwagon," I respect everyone's health choices and mainly, I love how you were able to wrap it up clearly with your final statement: "you don't have to have milk (or just milk)to get the calcium you need." I am getting a clear understanding of your opinion so thanks for addressing this and putting up with me. hehe (Plus, this is YOUR blog and piece of cyberspace where you get to say whatever the heck you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say thank you soooo much for doing this. I have a million and 1 recipe books and consult allrecipes.com regularly, and yet I often still feel like there's nothing I want to make for dinner. I really can't wait to try this stuff out!

    And as for my comment above, I apologize for the mean-ish tone. I REALLY didn't mean it that way. I've been having a real problem lately with expressing my true feelings through the written word. My tone just never seems to come through properly.

    Ultimately, you said it best: everything in moderation! That's the heart of the Word of Wisdom, after all, which is the ultimate dieter's guide to food!
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete